By: Steve Gronlund

June 18, 2021

Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) has been selected as one of the top five small places to work in the state by Vermont Business Magazine. The award program is dedicated to identifying and recognizing the area’s best employers and providing organizations with valuable employee feedback to continue improving. This year, VHFA ranked fourth overall.

“This award reflects how fortunate VHFA is to have attracted our wonderful staff,” remarked VHFA Executive Director Maura Collins. “I’m so proud of how well everyone has managed the many challenges of the past year and a half, and their deep commitment to our mission of promoting affordable housing opportunities for Vermonters.”

VHFA has been recognized by the award several times in recent years. It was ranked first in 2016, fourth in 2017 and second in 2018. VHFA did not enter the nomination process in 2019 or 2020. Companies can apply for recognition and then are evaluated in a two-part scoring system. 25% of the score comes from a review of the company's workplace policies, practices, and demographics, and the other 75% comes from a survey of the company's employees. The “small places to work” category includes organizations with between 15 to 99 employees.

"These companies have the honor of saying they are a Best Place to Work in Vermont. With Vermont businesses having difficulties finding people to fill open positions, these businesses can say to prospective employees that their company has been chosen as a best place to work in Vermont,” said John Boutin of Vermont Business Magazine.

VHFA has created several new initiatives to keep its organization thriving during the pandemic. VHFA has given all staff a $50 biweekly addition to their paychecks to cover internet and other home costs during remote work and organized regular virtual happy hours to bring staff together. This year VHFA also created a Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) committee composed of staff, with the goal of increasing recruitment of BIPOC individuals and creating a more welcoming environment for staff of all backgrounds and identities.