Homebuyer education

VHFA requires at least one borrower from each household to complete pre-purchase homebuyer education within 18 months prior to closing using one of the following approved options:

OPTION 1: Online Homebuyer Education

Looking to complete education online? CLICK BELOW to register for education using one of these online providers:

OPTION 2: In-Person Homebuyer Workshop and Counseling 

Looking for something more IN-DEPTH and VERMONT-FOCUSED? Non-profit HomeOwnership Centers around the state offer HUD-approved homebuyer education and counseling to help you learn about:

Click HERE to find the HomeOwnership Center nearest you and register for Homebuyer Education and Counseling.

After completing education, give your education certificate to your lender as proof you completed the VHFA homebuyer education requirement. Only one borrower per household must complete education. If education is completed more than 18 month prior to the loan closing date or education does not meet the above requirements, the borrower will be required to retake education at their own expense. For questions, please contact your lender.

Landlord education

Buying a 2-Unit (Duplex)?


In most cases, ​​VHFA borrowers purchasing a 2-unit duplex must complete online landlord education in addition to homebuyer education.

  1. Contact your lender to determine if landlord education is required for you.

  2. Your lender will help you locate an online course that will meet the requirement.

  3. After completing landlord education, provide the completion certificate to your lender as soon as possible.