-A A +A

How to apply for flood assistance

Posted by: VHFA on 6/28/2011

Residents of Addison, Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle counties who were affected by flooding have 60 days to apply for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

There are 3 ways to apply:

  1. Call 1-800-621-3362
  2. Go online to fema.gov
  3. Apply in person:
    • Mallets Bay Fire Department, Church Road, Colchester
    • 10 Precision Lane, Swanton
    • 140 Fishers Pond Road, St. Albans

To apply, you'll need:

  1. Your Social Security number
  2. Current and pre-disaster address
  3. A telephone number where you can be contacted
  4. Insurance information
  5. Total household annual income
  6. A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account). You can look up your bank routing number here.
  7. A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster

The dates to apply cover from June 16, when Addison, Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle counties were declared federal disaster areas.

If you have any reason to believe you've been affected by the flooding you need to apply.

Just more than $30,000 is available in grants from FEMA. Up to $200,000 in very small interest loans from SBA are also available. If you apply to FEMA you're automatically applying to SBA. SBA will then send a packet you must complete.

Keep all out-of-pocket receipts that come from flooding loss that are paid after June 16.

Contact Vermont 2-1-1 by dialing 2-1-1 on your phone for more information including FEMA assistance in other counties in the state.